If you know someone in need of help, these resources can help you identify the symptoms and risks so you can help them find the help they need.
If you are a producer in crisis, or know someone in need of immediate assistance, contact 988 or 911.
Helping someone resources:
- American Farm Bureau Federation Rural Resilience Website - Training for individuals who interact with farmers and ranchers to help identify stress and suicide, information on the warning signs associated with mental health, tips on starting a conversation and helping someone in emotional pain, and more.
- Rocky Mountain Farmer's Union Farm Crisis Center - A list of resources including the Farm Aid Hotline, National Suicide Lifeline, a directory for local resources on a variety of issues, links to mediation resources from USDA, national disaster resources, a drought monitor, and links to USDA disaster assistance programs.
- Responding to Distressed People - A variety of information that helps identify distress and a flow chart that outlines the process of responding to distressed people.
- How to talk to farmers under stress (Michigan State) - Tailored information on how to talk to a farmer about stress from Michigan State University Extension.
- Rural Resilience Training (FREE) for people and organizations who work with ag producers - Developed by Michigan State University Extension in partnership with the American Farm Bureau Federation, National Farmers Union and Farm Credit, the online training program is designed for individuals who interact with farmers and ranchers to help recognize signs of stress and offer resources.
- Wyoming Substance Abuse and Mental Health Ombudsman - Free help navigating resources or help in advocating - (307) 638-5519 or toll free: (888) 857-1942
- Cultivating Resilience in Rural Communities Toolkit - A toolkit developed by UMASH to support conversations on stress and mental health in the agricultural community.
- Question, Persuade, Refer - QPR - QPR training prepares people to recognize the signs of a mental health crisis and suicide and empowers them to intervene and assist.
- Mental Health First aid for Youth - Mental Health First Aid teaches participants how to help someone experience a mental health or substance use relate crisis.
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention When Someone is At Risk - A resource about how to have a conversation with someone who may be thinking about suicide.
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention Risk Factors - Information on risk factors and warning signs of suicide.